The only vegetable that my son eats without complaint is kangkong (water spinach). We usually steam it or put it in sinigang but last night, I tried making crispy kangkong and he liked it. Yay! So, I’m sharing the recipe here.
How to Cook Crispy Kangkong
a bundle of kangkong
a cup of water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
oil (enough for deep frying)
- Remove the kangkong leaves from the stalk. Wash, drain, and let it dry.
- Beat the egg, then mix it with water, flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Add the kangkong leaves. Make sure that all leaves are coated with batter.
- Heat the oil in a pot.
- Put the leaves and deep fry until it’s crispy and golden brown.
- Strain the crispy kangkong or place it on a plate with table napkin to remove excess oil.
And that’s it! You can serve it with mayonnaise, mixed soy sauce and vinegar, or just plain vinegar. Enjoy!