One of the few dishes that I miss in my hometown is Ginataang Puso ng Saging with Dilis (Banana blossom/heart in Coconut Milk with Anchovies). I told my husband about it and fortunately, he knows how to cook it. Sharing the recipe here for future reference.
“Banana blossom, also known as a “banana heart”, is a fleshy, purple-skinned flower, shaped like a tear, which grows at the end of a banana fruit cluster.” – theguardian.com
1 whole puso ng saging (sliced/chopped)
2 cups coconut milk
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 onion (chopped)
1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
- Peel the outer layer of the puso ng saging / banana heart, leaving the core then slice. Make sure to wash it properly then soak it in water for a while, then drain. Set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in cooking oil.
- Add pork and anchovies and sauté.
- Once the pork is cooked, add the sliced puso ng saging.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the vinegar and coconut milk.
- Cover and let it boil until the liquid is reduced.
- Add the chopped chili.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here’s a video of how my husband cooked the Ginataang Puso ng Saging.
Craving satisfied! We have tried it without chili and I can say that this dish is better when spicy. If you have kids, make sure to set aside some without chili.
Have you tried this dish? If you have another version of cooking it or if there are recipes that you would like me to try/write, please let me know in the comment section. Thank you!
DISCLAIMER: We are not chefs / professional cook. I am just sharing the food and recipes that we love and tried cooking.